Thursday, April 8, 2010

Everyday Savings: Just Say "No."

It's a new month! It's a new day! It's a new blog post series!

(Lucky you).

(And fine, it's a mostly new month ... I've been out of town. Give me a break).

This month I'm going to focus now and then on how I've been accomplishing every day savings in my home. Hopefully this will give you some good ideas ... or make you think "wow you're a moron I can't believe you didn't think of that before now." Let's just not share that little tidbit with me when it happens, mmmk?

I started thinking about this series in early March, gathering ideas for this. As I took stock of all the little things I've started doing and learning the number one thing that has helped me save money is this: saying "no" to stuff I don't need.

I know, that's mind blowing.

But stick with me here. Think about how many times you are walking through the grocery store and buy that bag of cookies because you are hungry and it looks delicious and hey, it's only $2 and on sale.

Just say "no," folks. Just. Say. No.

Think about how many times you wandered into that mall store *cough* ann taylor *cough* and fingered through the clearence items ... and ended up walking out with that $15 super cute sweater that was $75 to start with! and on sale.

I hate to break it to you -- but even if you get it on sale, but you actually don't need it -- it's just money spent and money wasted on something unnecessary and, frequently, unbudgeted.

I'm not saying there is no room in life for the simple pleasures of a gallon of delicious ice cream (which made its way home from the commissary in my bag). But it should be planned. It's the impulsiveness that gets you in trouble. Just say "no."

Coming soon: actual practical tips with evidence ... or something of that nature.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading more! Yesterday I actually started processing the idea of downgrading from my Blackberry, even though I love it so.much! It's not really serving its original purpose anymore and even with my 19% discount every month, is so expensive. Even though I love having Google and Pandora at the tip of my fingers....

    You're inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete