Monday, July 14, 2008

Ode To A Pot

The whole point of the electric kettle is to boil water very quickly .

But when people saw my little hot pot and asked how fast it was I had to say "oh, a little slower than the stove."

Uh-huh.

This wasn't just any hot pot, you know -- it was my Mom's. She used it in college. That was over 30 years ago.


It's quite an old little pot.

I took it to college with me. And then to D.C. And then I brought it here. And all along the way it's been faithful to make me boiling water in just as long as it takes so I can drink my delicious tea.

Ah.

Sadly the time has come for a newer, better pot. It was a wedding gift, not a choice. But still, it feels a little bit like the beginning of Toy Story where Buzz shows up and knocks poor Woody off the bed.


(I'm having trouble throwing out the old pot).

(It feels somehow like treachery ... and let's not lie -- it's kind of a miracle that the thing has lasted so long as it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment