Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blog Therapy

I am basically stealing a computer to bring this blog post to you.

Shelly and I are at present staying in the house owned by the family we've known for-ev-er and Shelly lived with for a year. I am swiping this computer from one of the kid's rooms ... go me.

I need a little blog therapy. After a fantastic few days in the woods with my family (pictures to come when Im back at home not stealing a computer) I emerged yesterday to check email and voice messages and head down (here) to Santa Cruz for a little grandma and church family time.

On the way down the mountain I got to sift through four days worth of email -- and injury and KIA (killed in action) notifications to the tune of five injured and two dead in that very small time frame. Talk about a buzz killer. Even though I had run away into the woods, the outside world kept on turning and my husband (who I hadnt heard from in over two weeks) kept on being in very real danger.

I cried. Not too long because my sister was in the car and I didn't want to be too annoying ... but it definitely happened.

Putting that behind me (and determining to go to the memorial service this coming week no matter how hard it is) Shelly and I hit the hometown ... a place where Verizon is not at its best. Indeed, my grandmother's house is a big fat dead zone.

And wouldn't you know it -- as I hung out in the dead zone this afternoon Luke called not once but twice (like a good boy -- five minutes after his first try he called again) and left voice messages.

I kept really put into words the terrible pit in my stomach I get when I miss one of his (precious) calls. It's one of the worst feelings in the whole world. And it's not like he was calling from his newly established phone connection at their FOB ... he was back on a (I presume supply) trip to the place he was for several months that is (compartively) repleat with phones. He said he'd try to call again tomorrow. I don't know how long he'll be there.

*sick feeling continues*

Tomorrow we are going to church where Luke and I got married. Like I mentioned before, I dread the questions about how he's doing and where he is and pretty much anything to do with Luke. I just don't want to talk about it.

Other than that MAJOR BUMMER our time here has thus far been fantabulous. We've been to the boardwalk, grandma's house, my beach where Luke proposed (and where, to my Great Dismay, they swept in and REMOVED MY BURRITO TABLE!! The nerve) and so on.

I can't wait, however, to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment