Saturday, February 28, 2009

Portland

I don't like driving long distances, mostly because I'm lazy. Regardless, I got in the car this morning (after only about 7 hours of sleep ... I couldn't go to sleep until 1 a.m. last night! Cruel world) and drove down there.

And the drive wasn't bad at all. Maybe it's because I'm always a passenger that it seems so long. Whatever. It was fine. I got to hang out with the Long Lost Michelle and a Jess from another coast, eat delicious Lebanese food, shop at the worlds most awesome used book store and hang out with cool people in general. All in all, good day. And I didnt fall asleep on the drive back, either. Two points for me.

What made the day extra good, though, was the fact Luke called last night. It was about 11:30 p.m. and I was finally dozing after laying in bed from an hour and a half (not sleeping mind you, definitely awake. But laying very very still). I wanted him to call so badly that I had actually not plugged my phone in at all but had it in my bed with me, just in case ... just in case willing it to ring actually did work.

And then it rang. Woohoo!! I'm convinced it wasn't so much the willing it to ring as the admitting that all the positive thoughts in the world wouldn't work.

But it was soooo good to talk to him. It's difficult to explain: having him be gone is hard, really really really hard. But it's the not getting to talk to him that makes it unbearable and oh so very lonely. Just hearing his voice made it all OK again. I almost think I can make it through deployment without going absolutely mad provided he gets to call me frequently. No contact may just kill me.

He called again tonight and promised to call again tomorrow ... and may even be home sooner than we thought on either the night of the fifth or sometime on the sixth.
~~~~~~~~~~~

This week may drag a bit, the last few days before he gets back always does. Tomorrow I've got church and a coffee date. Monday is my errand and gym day and possibly dinner with a friend. Tuesday, Bible study, gym. Wednesday, Bible study and a baby appointment and small group (aka day of weight gain reckoning. Sigh) ... and Thursday (!!!) spa day and maybe the day Luke comes home.

Yay :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment